Sunday, September 09, 2007

"Vegetable Stew" (not Chicken Soup) for the Soul


There are a couple of things that often moved me, like excellent cuisines (I was actually moved by how delicious pork cutlet could be when I visited Japan a couple of years ago), captivating films and inspiring music. So on occasions when I come across a combination of them, I just simply become a completely mess...

Ratatouille (Rat-a-too-ee, a French vegetable stew) awed me with it's jaw-dropping graphics (reminded me of just how breathtaking Paris was...) and a even more beautiful script and storyline. I dare say that the animated film has reached a kind of depth that previous Pixar productions have never reached before. Although I find that the pace and relevance of some parts of the film could improve, I can't blame Disney-Pixar since it has to appeal commercially to 'children of all ages'. Nevertheless, Ratatouille has done an extremely good job in touching me on a personal and emotional level.

What does it mean to live your dream? How do you know that your dream is a possibility? When do you know if your dream has come true? In a way, I could relate to how Remy felt when it comes to cooking to the way I feel about photography. I could feel the passion, the excitement and the ecstasy when he's engrossed in his art; his relentless pursue for perfection and finesse, his frustration when something is missing but can't put a finger to, and of course... the satisfaction when his art is accomplished and appreciated. Back when I was still in the service, there were occasions when we were asked what our "Defining Moment" was; what that single moment was that changed our perspectives, our ideals, our lives... For Remy, as I interpreted in the film, would be the moment when Anton Ego took his first bite on the Ratatouille he prepared. It was a culmination of everything that Remy hope for, stood for and lived for.

What dreams do you have? What do you stand for? What do you live for?

What is your 'Ratatouille'?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home